Monday, November 15, 2010

How to wean Khairaldin off breastfeed?

In 2 days time, my calendar would have marked 1 year and 5 months on my breastfeeding journey with Khairaldin. Before Khairaldin was born, I always prayed to Allah on wanting to breastfeed him for exactly 2 years. It's always been my plan because my Mom breastfed me for 4 years and I wanted to know how much hardship she had to go through to feed me. Since I've just found out about my pregnancy, I decided to wean him off as soon as possible for his health and mine.

His last feed was 24 hours ago. I didn't plan to stop him straight away as I thought it would be unfair for him. However, even before I found out about my pregnancy, I have slowly decreased his feeds to twice a day. I don't know why I did that but it just felt right at that moment. He could understand slowly that he can only get his feeds at certain hours. Alhamdulillah. It was easier than I expected!

Today, I have had less than 4 hours of sleep and I've been so tired. Again, all thanks to Allah, Khairaldin understood my situation and didn't demand as much. Whenever he wants his feeds he will say "Aminn, Aminn!", so now I am teaching him "Amin" is for food and also drinks/Milo. He's getting the hang of it. Alhamdulillah!

It's emotional for me because it feels as if I'm depriving him from his rights. I know Allah has plans for us. I believe strongly that HE will guide us through as long as we worship and please him. I am a true believer of that. However, being a mother you will still feel a tinge upset for not giving your child that easiest rights he/she deserves. All thanks to Allah swt, Khairaldin is learning to accept the fact and is rather happy drinking from his bottle. Alhamdulillah.

In case some of you do not know, Khairaldin was a true anti-bottlefeed. He refuses bottle to an extent that people think I was abusing him! :| So it took me a while to get him used to bottles. I tried sippy cups but couldn't find the perfect one for him. If any of you have the time to browse sippy cups, try and have a look at the designs. Most sippy cups are designed in such a way that is difficult for you to wash them. I bought a few and ended up throwing them as the straw and some other part just couldn't be washed. In the end, we settled with Tommee Tippee sippy cup from 6months+. The "nipple" is soft enough for breastfed baby and it's easy to open and wash every bit of it. I highly recommend it to mothers who have babies as fussy as Khairaldin. Insha'Allah, it might be a smooth transition for baby and you too!! :)

So, here's to the end of our breastfeeding journey! Insha'Allah many more to come....with other of Khairaldin's siblings that is. :D

No comments: