Saturday, March 27, 2010

Newborn checklist

I have been getting a few PMs from Mommies-to-be wanting to know what things to buy for their newborn baby. I was 'chosen' because I am a SAHM and our household income is rather low. So a few of you are wondering how we managed to do so. To begin with, I live with my parents, so most of the household stuffs are paid for by them so we only buy things for ourselves and 'the baby'. Four months before Khairaldin's debut, I was made redundant from work. So I was really in the only get-the-necessity attitude. At that time we could not spend much so we really made sure whatever we get is for a long term period and not for a few weeks old and that's it.

Anyway, it's been almost a year ago since I bought stuffs for 'new arrival' baby. I might miss out some important stuffs needed so it's best if you Mommies have a few lists in hand to just compare with mine. :) I got my list from Iza, who recommended me Mothercare's baby checklist. As you can see below, the list have all the so called "necessities". Even though it's too detailed, I find that Mothercare lists down almost everything you need to have to welcome your baby for the first 3 months. These items listed is to get you Mommies prepared for the first 3 months. Once you've got used to having th baby around, I think you'd be able to go out shopping for more items. But these are essentials and to stop you from worrying on what to get whilst you're on confinement. Insha'Allah.

Before I break the lists down into sections, I'd just like to tell you Mommies that it might be easier if you have decided on what type of parenting skills you want to practise. For instance, are you into natural parenting (ie; co-sleeping, cloth diapering, babywearing and breastfeeding) or conventional parenting (ie; sleeping in a cot, disposable diapers, pushchairs and bottle-feed). If you are into conventional parenting, I could only say that you are reading the wrong blog because being a SAHM you tend to practise natural parenting due to not so luxurious funds coming in at the end of the month. ;) But if you want to try both natural and conventional, then probably you will be able to get some ideas about the things to buy. Just in case, I raised Khairaldin fully natural parenting. So, I couldn't advise on things like disposable diapers, push chairs and bottle feed. Sorry.

Now, lets break the list down.

Baby clothes
6-8 sleepsuits
6-8 bodysuits3-4 daywear outfits
2-3 pairs socks2-3 scratch mitts
2-3 hats
The maximum number stated is
definitely the maximum and it'll be more than enough to last you for the first 3 months. Bear in mind, people will be giving gifts and somehow they tend to buy sizes from 0-3 months. The other reason why you shouldn't buy too much of 0-3 months sizes is also because the baby gains weight rather quickly. You might be able to use the 0-3 months clothes up to 3 months or you might have to start using 3-6 months sizes after baby is 2 months old (that's what happens with Khairaldin). YES, it is very hard not to buy those cute little outfits but in the end of the day, you wouldn't wanna waste it as well, would you?

Nursery
Ok we chose to sleep with Khairaldin in the same room hence co-sleeping. So we haven't got any nursery/baby room. If you Mommies wish to sleep seperately with your baby then probably you could pick from the list the essential things. However, if you are planning to co-sleep (either on the same bed or room) then here's my list:

Baby crib
(we only used this when he was about 4months old)
Snuggle nest
(I didn't know the existance of this thing until I saw my sister using it. Truthfully, I think it's very practical as you don't have to wake up to constantly check if baby's blanket is covering his/her face or even if you are actually sleeping on baby. I would highly recommend it!)

Oh yeah, when Khairaldin turned 6 months, we had him sleeping on a 'proper' bed since his crib was too small for him. This bed could last him until he's 12 years old if he doesn't grow tall so quickly! :) You can either opt for extandable or non-extandable. We chose the non-extandable because we had enough space in the room. My nephew has been using the same type of bed from 6 months until he's 12 now. All we need to do is change the mattress every 4 years or so as it'll get flat by probably 4 years time. A few people questioned whether he doesn't fall from the bed since it's not a baby cot (no rails etc). Alhamdulillah, ever since he started crawling he's only fell off my bed a couple of times. He's never fallen off his bed. Every morning he'd crawl till the edge of his bed and 'call' me (not even cry!). Somehow, that'll wake me up. I'll pick him up and breastfeed him and back onto his own bed. No fuss. Alhamdulillah. I guess it's all about training and all of us will get into a routine.

I don't really fancy babycots because of its rails. Looks like they're in a cage! No offence, that's my point of view. :)

Feeding
If breastfeeding is your way, then read these entries first.

So the ultimate and important accessory would be...
BREAST PUMP (I bought Ameda Lactaline Personal Dual pump)

Most people, including yours truly, chose to buy breast pump after the baby is born only because I thought there was no neccesity as baby hardly drinks anything. Boy was I wrong! During the third day, if you are lucky, earlier, your breasts start to produce milk. Since baby doesn't or couldn't drink much at an early stage, your breast will become engorged as there's milk but it's not coming out. Imagine having to wee and can't find any toilet to let it go. Same case scenario, only more painful! Since baby could not take all of the produced milk in his/her tummy and the breast needs to be emptied, the only way to do it is to pump it all out. The good thing about breast pump is also that your milk production will become su fficient for a very long time. I've known a few friends who started pumping after baby's about 3 months and it's been really hard for them to get the milk to produce sufficiently. So after a few months, breastmilk becomes lesser and lesser. For working Mom's also, breast pump is the essential gadget.

It's up to you whether you want to buy
milk storage bags or bottles. In my case, I didn't as I wasn't planning to work anytime soon. Khairaldin also doesn't like to drink from bottle so almost all of my breast milk was thrown away after pumping. However, both Iskandar and I doesn't see this as wastage because our main intention is to not get any sore boo bies and also to make sure the milk produce sufficiently. In the end of it, since Khairaldin hates bottle, we see no point keeping it for no reason. Alhamdulillah even with throwing away that much of milk, I still managed to feed him until today (9 months ++ and counting). Alhamdulillah.

Travel

Until today, I still don't own a pushchair/pram or whatever. I don't even know the difference. Hehe So, I'll leave that bit for you Mommies to decide. However, if you want to know more about babywearing, do not hesitate to ask Adriana (can Adrin?) she's the PR for Malaysian Baby Wearers so I'm sure she knows a great deal! I've only tried Ring Slings and SSC but Adriana has almost every single babywearing items. She's either tried and tested or owned it. Hehehe So, she's definitely the right person to speak to. :)

I highly recommend you Mommies to buy a CARSEAT! Safety first Moms and not forgetting, it'll only make life so much easier when you train them from small!!!! Since we didn't know our baby's sex, we bought the Ferrari carseat. Coz we thought if it's a girl, Red would be fine and if it's a boy, Ferrari will shout I'm a boy! Hahah Also our carseat lasts up to 4 years old. So that's why we bought that instead of Maxi Cosi etc, which probably lasts till 1year old the most.

Changing bag

I did buy one but hardly ever used it. I'd rather have a huge handbag to stuff everything in it. Since we also don't have a pushchair, it was easier for me to have my handbag and wear Khairaldin. So if you do a lot of travelling, then this is one of the essential.

Bathtime

We bought almost everything listed on Mothercare list. Except for non-slip bath mat, top and tail bowl, bath support and changing mat. Most changing bag now includes changing mat, so double check before buying. For the soaps etc, we bought the skincare set, lasts until now.

Playtime

Cot mobile
Play swing
As soon as your baby's eye can open, it's best to hang toys above his cot or your bed. I didn't train Khairaldin's eye to look at toys from a distance and apparently he's a bit 'juling'. So it's best to train the baby straight away. We have a few mobiles now on his bed to get him trained. Insha'Allah.

Play swing or baby bouncer is rather important if there's only the two of you in the house. When I was on my 'confinement' my MIL was around for 2 weeks but after that it's just Iskandar, Khairaldin and I. After Iskandar finished his paternity leave, it's only Khairaldin and I at home. So in order to get with the day to day job, I had to put Khairaldin in a play swing to keep him entertained for a while. That got the job done. If you are used to babywearing, you can also wear baby whilst doing housework. But I didn't have the guts to do it then. hehehe

Others

Changing unit
Baby monitor

Seriously, I think
changing table is a MUST have item! I don't know if it's just me or what, but I get sore back from bending down to change Khairaldin's diaper or after his bath. It's better if baby's high up and you don't need to bend much. After pregnancy and delivery, your body just become very sensitive. So take good care of it, girls!

As for baby monitor, we didn't get any coz the house in UK is small enough and we can hear him scream even when we're downstairs. I think it's an essential when you are in Malaysia. I'm not sure, double check with other Mommies.

Diapers

12 cloth diaper covers
16-24 inserts

For the first 6 months before baby's on solids, you probably need 8-10 diapers A DAY! Or even, they're being changed every 3 hours for the first 6 months, at least. So depending on how hardworking you are, I think 12 cloth diapers should be enough. Once you get up in the morning, put the diapers in the washing machine. If you hang it by 9am, diapers should be ready to be used by 12pm. It is that quick and easy!

That is all I have or can remember at this time. If other Mommies have anything to add, please do leave your comments in the comment box. It could definitely be of some help to the new Mommies.

Till then, have fun shopping for your little ones! :)

No comments: