Monday, August 22, 2011

Kabsa Rice Recipe (Nasi Kabsa Resipi)

Two words for Saturday meal: ALHAMDULILLAH SUCCESS!!! At least that is what Hubby complimented. When I cook, I feel everything is just not right. I'm never satisfied with my cooking because I'm just annoying like that. ;) Anyway, I got my recipe from this website. She has A LOT of gooooooooddddd recipes! I can just drool looking at her blog. Since it's in Malay language, I decided to translate her recipe onto my blog. So for my British friends, you guys won't miss out on this yummy food! Do try it out!!

Kabsa Rice in a HUGE pot! NOT ENOUGH!! ;)

Ingredients:

1 kg beef + bones  
(or 1 whole chicken cut into half)
3 cups Basmati rice (wash and soak for 30 mins)
5 cups of hot water
(or you could use the water from boiled beef)
2 tbsp cooking oil
1 tbsp Ghee
1 cinnamon stick
3 cardamoms
3 pieces of cloves
2 onions- diced
3 cloves of garlic- diced
1 big carrot - grated
1 whole tomato- blended 
(I used the canned chopped tomatoes)
2tbsp tomato puree
1 teaspoon yellow/orange food colouring (saffron)
2 tbsp kabsa spices for recipe click HERE
1 whole lemon- make a whole in the middle
(get the most riped lemon as you want it to be sour-est!)
1 red bell pepper- diced
1 tsp black pepper
2 whole red chillies
1/4 cup raisins
Salt & sugar to taste

Method:
  1.  If you're using beef, then boil the beef first until soft. Possibly for an hour.
  2. Heat oil and ghee. Saute cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves, onions and garlic until you can smell the aroma.
  3. Then, saute the blended tomato, tomato puree, lemon, food colouring and kabsa spices.
  4.  Put the beef in with the rest and add salt & sugar. (If you're using chicken, then put the raw chicken in at this stage and leave it in till it's cooked)
  5. Once the beef/chicken is cooked, put in carrot, red bell pepper, chilli, raisins and rice. Put in the hot water to cook the rice.
  6. Leave the pot closed and make sure you keep stirring every 4-5 minutes so that the rice won't get burnt at the bottom of the pot. 
  7. ENJOY YOUR MEAL WITH YOUR LOVED ONES!!!! :))
Hopefully you are able to follow these steps. It's my first time writing out a recipe! Do let me know how you get on with it. If I've missed out any parts or you have better ingredients for the recipe, do leave a comment to share with all of us! Wishing you the best of luck, cooking monsters!!! May your cooking bring you closer to your loved ones....tummy & heart! ;)
 
Oh, in case the rice ain't spicy for your liking, you can make some sauce with it. I didn't try the sauce because I don't really eat spicy food. So this recipe is just nice for my liking. Try this:

Sauce: Blend tomatoes, green chillies, corriander, sugar and salt. Once it's done, squeeze some lemon into it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I make kabsa I cook the meat in liquid with all the spices (previously browned) then use that to cook the rice seperately. After the rice is cooked I sauté the rice and meat in ghee adding nuts (usually walnuts) and dates/raisins. I usually use the same spices but prefer dried lime to lemon and add a bay leaf to the broth as well.
In the US if I tell people I made an Arab dish I might get someone who looks at me funny, but if I say it's kabsa, then after they eat it I tell them it's Arab they are more open minded. We need more Arab cuisine over here! I have to drive about 20min just to get halal meats (I'm not Muslim, but the halal stores carry good goat meat and other cuts that are difficult to find elsewhere, and they're just so friendly there that I rather give them my money than some other stores).